Trend Watch

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Crashing back to earth...


It always happens when you elevate something or someone to a height almost impossible to achieve. I saw that with some of Hillary Clinton's supporters and I did it myself with the promising 3 year old colt, Mr. Fantasy. Readers of this blog know I touted him as the next big thing in horse racing. I was completely blown away by his first two starts as I watched him blow away his competition. What I ignored this past Saturday was not only the level of that competition, but the level and fitness of the horses he faced in the Grade III $250,000 Gotham Stakes, run at Aqueduct yesterday.
The race speaks for itself. What you can't see is that Mr. Fantasy was a late May foal and is not even 3 years old. While disappointing, he did not disgrace himself in his first start in a major graded stakes beating 3 of the 4 stakes winners entered in the race. If his jockey hadn't eased up on him, he would have finished second. The winner, I Want Revenge, had just come off two close losses in Grade 1 stakes to the Kentucky Derby favorite, Pioneer of the Nile, and lived up to his quality running a freak-type race himself winning off by over 8 in a fast time. Revenge and Fantasy will meet again in the Wood Memorial and I expect a much more competitive race this time as clearly Mr. Fantasy needed the Gotham to move him forward. I just have to deal with the fact that he is only human, er, I mean, equine.

No comments: